Our History

“The Ashley Cemetery Association” was established on February 4, 1871 by some of the community’s most prominent citizens. The original stockholders of the cemetery were John C. Wells, James M. Snyder, John Campbell, E. L. Deifenderfer, A. LeBar, William H. Marcy, George Dunn, Peter Rudrauff, Jacob Cole, Charles Parish, J.K.P. Fenner and John Bowden. Many of these same gentlemen were the petitioners for the 1870 charter of the borough, officially establishing the area’s name as “Ashley.”

In 1927, the cemetery’s name was changed to “The Maple Hill Cemetery Association.” Descendents of original stockholder John Bowden continue to serve to the present day on the cemetery’s Board of Directors. Maple Hill Cemetery Association’s current Directors remain dedicated to the founders’ original purpose; burying and commemorating the deceased in a landscape of beauty and serenity that offers comfort to bereaved family and friends.

Board of Directors

  • Cynthia Campbell
  • Ken Dewey
  • Pamela Friedmann
  • Paul Friedmann
  • Larry Newman
  • Susan Shoemaker
Maple Hill Cemetery grounds
Maple Hill Cemetery grounds, a tombstone with an American flag